The Story of a Mom, a Wife a Small-Business-Owner-Hopeful (Happy Baby Designs) and a Craft Lover, trying to be present (not just exist) in my life with my children, my husband and myself. Follow along with me as I chronicle my crafting and business endeavors, my true life and some mommy moments along the way .


Saturday, August 14, 2010

My Faux Family

Whenever I'm at antique malls or estate sales, I'm always drawn to old photographs. I love the story they tell. And for some reason I feel the need to rescue these forgotten memories. So I've been collecting old photographs that "speak" to me. Some I like for their color, others for their story. But I love them all.

They are now proudly displayed in my entryway and I affectionately refer to them as my "Faux Family."


I picked this one up at an estate sale a long time ago (I think I paid $10 for it). I love it for it's color and it's size. They are the matriarch and patriarch of my faux family.


I don't remember where I picked these up but I love the sassiness each of these women possess. I also love the subtle coloring of them. And they were both in their original frames which is an added bonus!


My husband actually bought this photo for me. He loved the happiness in their faces and theorized that this picture was taken outside the courthouse after they just got married.


I love this naked baby picture. It really could be any baby from any era. I think it's so funny that the baby is laying on an oriental rug out in the grass.


I love the long pictures that I'm sure you've seen in antique malls but they are always so expensive! I searched high and low for one that I could afford and I finally found this one. It's a photo of the "Lovejoy Reunion". The tag on the back says it's from Ithaca, NY.


I really had to dig for this series of photos of a baby being bathed in the kitchen sink. I found one of them in a basket full of old photos. I kept flipping through the photos and found the second and third photo. I love the story these photos show. And the baby's smile in the third photo is priceless!


And finally I found these two photos at a flea market when we were visiting Paris (I know, we sound so cosmopolitan!). The love that you feel between this mom and baby is just precious.


So there you have it. My faux family. I even have a little room on each side to pick up a few more photos :)


Am I alone in my obsession with old photos? If you collect old photographs, what do you do with them?

Thanks for visiting!


Linking up to these fun parties:


HookingupwithHoH
All Thingz Related
mmm button

The Girl Creative
UndertheTableandDreaming
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
Photobucket

21 comments:

  1. That is such a cool idea - I would have never thought to do that and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is a cool idea! I always feel sorry for "forgotten" things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, never think of that actually but, those photos made me smile because they are really similar with some of my own family: the first one could be either of my grand parents, I have aunt's photos that look like the seconds, and I actually have a picture of me (with 3 months)in a beach towel like the one in the baby on the grass!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is funny - my mom and I have always called these photos "instant ancestors." Glad to know that there's other like us out there!

    xo Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. i also love old photos and get saddened for the people whose family let the photos go! on another note, i have a friend who had NEW frames with the fake family pics that came in them. She had them all up on her wall because she was deciding which pics to put in them. it was almost a year that i stared at her faux family.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a HUGE wall of faux family! lol. I love title you gave them....I may have to find some fancy font and use my vinyl to do up a "family" sign!!!

    I go straight to the photos and old letters etc when I go to the "junk" shops. I guess this is why I am so obsessed with getting all of my photos labeled and scrapbooked...I really don't want people to wonder...who is this? what year was this taken? how old do you think they are?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've bought photos for a faux family, too! How funny. I really like that long one, I'll have to hunt for one of those. Thanks for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have some old photos. I take so many photos, I avoided buying to many old ones!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGGGG We just went to a local flea market over the weekend and looked at so many lovely old pictures. I've been wanting to create a wall of pictures in our house but wasn't sure whether or not it would be weird to use all the old pictures since I have no idea who any of them are... you've inspired me... I think I'm gonna start working on it next week!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Vanessa www.domesticdame.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous idea! I have never thought of doing something like this, but I love it!!

    ...visiting from Sassy Sites! I am a follower! Come by my blog and say HI! :)
    (you have a very Sassy Site!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! I adore old & forgotten portraits as well. Found your post on all thingz related :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. And people say you can't pick your family :) Visiting from All Thingz Related.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vintage photos always tell a story! I love looking at them! I'm happy to be your newest follower of your delightful blog! Be sure to come by FrouFrouDecor..I love having new friends! I also have a link party every Friday and would love to have you link up!
    Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had to giggle at this post.
    I was just talking to a friend of mine a couple of days ago about my collection of old photo of people I don't know.
    He asked if I had them in frames on my wall.I hadn't but, I had been considering it.
    I love how yours looks.
    That settles it I WILL do it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy old photos as well but rarely have I seen great ones like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too collect old photos, one in particular, I always introduce as my family....I keep waiting for a response, but most people are not sure what to say....they are all quite homely and not a smile on the bunch. All the women's hair is pulled back in real tight buns...thus they can't smile...lol I have a good time with it.
    I love that you dedicated it all to one wall, very impressive...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a friend who does the same thing. We even help her look when we go to flea markets and junque stores.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Rebecca,

    Congratulations, your "My Faux Family" idea made this week's Top 5 Hits at Singing With Birds. Come check it out and have a great weekend. Thanks for such a fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This post makes me smile.

    Just think: You get to pick only the attractive ones. Shallow but funny... admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great idea. My parents have some old, pretty photos. I should scan and print them to make a collage. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Here from Trendy Treehouse- your Faux Family is so interesting! I never would have thought of that... but now I know who buys old family photos at garage sales! :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear from you guys! You all are the GREATEST! (And I love to reply to comments so make sure you have an email address attached to your Blogger Profile!)